Bondi Less Sunny

you began your Sydney life in Kirribilli
not a bad place to begin
but then you moved to Bondi
to where the action was
the love action no doubt

to woo the woman that you loved
and you did
as you courted her in Bondi
and she was yours
and she is still yours, always

and when we kids came along
we’d see Uncle Cliff
in Bondi
and you’d take us fishing
in Rose Bay
and you’d buy us gelato
in Bondi
and lolly-gobble-bliss-bombs
in Rose Bay

and in Bondi Junction
you’d take us to the whale car wash
and there we’d get lolly pops
and you’d take us to the Star Theatre
and there we’d see movies and eat popcorn

and these little flashes of memories
are just a few celluloid frames running through my mind’s projector
of you, us and then

if life is our teacher
death is the principal

and we remain children…

even when our hair goes grey.

In memory of Sunny 23/2/37 – 12/8/10

3 comments

  1. christov10 says:

    Thank you for posting this. I remember going to the carwash with my dad when I was a little kid. I still miss him. Peace to you, Mermaid, and to your dad.

  2. Rebecca Sheppard says:

    Dear bondimermaid,

    We’ve known both your mom and your dad for several years now. I can understand your reminiscences of Sunny and your sadness in losing him, in the lines of your blogs. I always thought of him as such a sensitive and gentle soul, and with so much empathy. The family here who had the privilege of knowing him, all loved him, as we do your mom.

    Your blogs were very sensitive and we appreciate your sharing your thoughts. Thank you.

    Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year to you and yours.

    Rebecca and Gordon
    Walnut Creek, CA

  3. bondimermaid says:

    christov10: Going to the carwash was so exciting when we were kids wasn’t it? I loved it. It’s still apparently exciting for kids today, even the whole process has changed. It’s funny how relatively insignificant events or activites that we did with our parents when were young are so strong and prominent in our memories when we are older.

    Rebecca: thanks for your kind words and for contributing to the blog. Happy New Year to you all!

Leave a Reply to bondimermaid