One/One/One One

Yesterday was the last day of 2010. It was a gorgeous Sydney summer’s day, perfect for swimming and sunning, and a lovely night, topped off by another great Sydney NYE fireworks display over our magnificant harbour.

Today, it was another hot, sunny beautiful day in Sydney and many people thought that hanging out on Bondi Beach would be a great way to spend the first day of 2011. Me and offspring included. We frollicked in the sea and caught a few rays at North Bondi. Didn’t venture into Bondi central – it was pleasant enough just being at the north end. When the sun was getting a bit much, we headed home for some down-time and food.

When we rambled back to North Bondi early in the evening, we couldn’t believe how packed the beach still was, even with the sun starting to sink further down in the sky.

New Year's Day, looking towards South Bondi from north end, 6.40pm, 1/1/11

“Twenty eleven” seeems to have a greater air of certainty about it. For some reason it just has a better ring to it than “twenty ten.” It’s kind of like…”we’re not mucking around here.”

Hope it’s a good ONE.

Happy New Year!!

6 comments

  1. christov10 says:

    That looks like a radical temperature change from late December (“Icebergs”) to New Year’s Day. The pool picture from the Icebergs post shows crashing breakers in the background, but the beach pictures shows dead calm water. Pretty wild. Been years since I’ve lived next to the sea and I’ve forgotten how changeable it is.

    A few years back I read a book called Keep Australia on Your Left about an American and an Australian who attempted to paddle around your continent in a 17′ folding Klepper kayak. I think they started their journey from Bondi Beach. The book was an interesting read. Any local seakayakers there?

    The site looks great and I like the photos you take to illustrate your posts.

    That Flickr feed at left contains photos that are anybody’s public snapshots tagged Bondi?

  2. bondimermaid says:

    Hi christov10
    Yes, you’re not kidding about the radical temperature changes that have been going on in Sydney these last couple of weeks. It can be cold one minute and very hot and humid the next. The sun is shining today and it’s warm. We’re lovin life!

    I don’t know of the book you mention. You say it’s about an attempted sail around the continent. Were they not successful in completing the journey? I sometimes see kayakers in Bondi and adjacent bays/beaches – but on days when the conditions are very calm.
    I tend to see more kayakers in Sydney Harbour rather than in the ocean/at the beaches. The harbour is also very close by to the ocean in this area.

    Thank you for your positive feedback re the blog. I appreciate it.

    Yes, the Flickr feed is a feed of anybody’s public snapshots tagged “Bondi.”

  3. the 8 year old math master! says:

    When I was taking a walk with my mum I started to count cigarette butts and from the Post Office in Hall St to the corner of Gould and Blair Streets (maybe 500 meters?) I counted 202 butts. I felt disgusted!

    • bondimermaid says:

      Ooooh, Yuk!! I’m glad I didn’t have to breathe in the smoke from all those cigarettes, when they were still alight!

      Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment 8 year old math master.
      I hope you can enjoy more walks with your mum in Bondi without the pollution of all those cigarette butts in the future.

  4. Niki says:

    This Blog is top shelf, a visual feast and a great read 🙂

Leave a Reply to the 8 year old math master!